The vineyard path
Height difference: 185m
Teren: Partly paved (street), partly macadam through vineyards
Time required: 1.5h
Požega on its southern side leans on the slopes of Požeška gora, partly turned into vineyards. To go for a walk there gives a great view over the old, historical part of Požega and it is very close to the town centre.
The tour starts from the main square and the town market along Vučjak street. We pass by the church of St. Philip and Jacob, the old hospital and go towards the graveyard of St. Elisabeth. We turn right in Janko Jurković Street, and after a few minutes of ascenting we move on along Fratrovica Street with the homonymous spring and a bower. At the crossroads of Fratrovica and the Vineyard Path we move on to the left (north-east). The path leads through well cared vineyards and weekend cottages to the chapel of St.Vid. We descent on the right from the chapel, go along Vincelovo Path towards the town centre. The path goes next to the diocese of Požega, along Kanižlić Street and by the library. We turn left and are on the main square in a couple of minutes.
Map and height profile
Sign a tour!
After you have conquered the tour you can report yourself in two ways:
1. on the road directly by using your mobile phone for the members. Approximate spot for reporting yourself is (17.681632, 45.326823)
2. by sending a photo with you in front of the church of St.Vid
Landmarks near you
Holy Trinity Square
As early as in the 19. century was Požega called „the Athens of Slavonia“ because of its culture, and the Holy Trinity Square in a baroque style is the town centre and an important cultural monument. Požega is the so-called town-monument because of its heritage and a rich „Golden Valley“ history.
The Holy Trinity Square with its irregular triangle shape, bolts and a baroque column takes a special place. On the Square there is also a Franciscan monastery and the Church of the Holy Spirit from the 13. century, St. Lawrence Church with murals from the 14. century, a building of the Jesuits' collegiat body built in 1711., the first Grammar School from 1726., the Old Town Hall and the museum.
It is a stone building in a gothic style built on the foundations of another little church from the 14.century. It was later expanded on the northern side and was 23,8 m long. Some historians claim that it belonged to the Poor Clare Sisters, while others think that the church belonged to the Dominicans. After Požega fell under the authority of the Ottomans, the church was transformed into a mosque, and soon after that it served as a wheat warehouse. At the end of the 17. century, after the arrival of the Jesuits, the church got the name of St. Lawrence, which was actually an unprecise translation of the former name „Lauretaum“. There are well preserved organs and precious medieval gotical murals. The neglected church was renovated by the Jesuits by annexing some of the parts and renovation of the bell tower.
There is the primary altar of St. Lawrence and four secondary altars in the renovated church. The renovation began after the Second World War. It is interesting to mention that there are mortal remains of the famous citizen of Požega and Jesuit Antun Kanižlić in the crypt.
The Old Hospital in Vučjak
In 1689. there is a hospital mentioned near the Stone Gate in Požega, which was used as army accommodation. As early as in 1765. it was mentioned as a hostel for the sick and the weak. Jesuits played an extrodinary role in development of health services and pharmacy by opening the first pharmacy in 1740. The first modern hospital in Požega was built in 1836. in the Vučjak Street. It gained the status of the general public hospital in 1875. after the arrival of the Sisters of Charity who took over the care of the hospital and its patients.
The first operations were carried out in 1934. after it had been renovated and improved. There were the hospital director and 26 employees. One male-nurse, three nurses and 10 Sisters of Mercy took care of the sick. In the beginning there were 60 beds. Nova Banovinska Hospital was situated on the outskirts of the town direction Osijek. It was built and opened in 1936. The building has a simple symetrical shape with the focus on the middle part of the building i.e. the enterance. The new hospital had 80 beds then, also a surgical ward, a gynaecological ward and an internal medicine.
Over the years the hospital evolved in terms of personnel and technology up to the present modern hospital with 34 different wards.
The Church of the Holy Spirit and The Franciscan Monastery
The historical resources accessible to the public claim that the Franciscan church of the Holy Spirit is the oldest preserved church in Požega. The Franciscan built the monastery and the church in 1285. When Požega was conquered by the Ottomans, the monastery was torn and the church was turned into a mosque and called Šerklot. That's why there are remains of the late Romanic, Gothic and Ottoman architecture in the church.
After they had left, the Franciscan came back, started building a new monastery and began with the restauration of the church . The interior is full of valuabe baroque altars and pictures and especially the valuable baroque altar is in the sacristy from the 1737. Beneath the sanctuary there is a grave closed in 1867. where among the Franciscan there were also important people from Požega buried.
Luka Ibrišimović, who liberated Požega and this part of Slavonia from the Ottomans, was buried here as well. The monastery boasts a rich library as well. Although the greatest part was destroyed in fire, it is categorized as a national monument, among the most valuable ones in Croatia. The Franciscan library nowadays has an invaluable collection of the old and rare transcripts of which there are two incunabulums worth mentioning. The Bible, which was printed in 1486.in Nürnberg consists of four volumes, whereas its third volume is only to be found in Požega.
The Old Town of Požega
It was mentioned for the first time as a fortress (castrum de Posega) and dates back in 1227. The fortress belonged to the medieval defence architecture, and is believed to be built in the 11. century. From the monumental octagonal fort with a defence tower there are practically nothing left, exept from the bookings, drawings, engravings and works of art. Today, there is a maintained park and a promenade called Stari grad on its place. The only remains of the old fortress are parts of the foundation and walls at its base hill.
St Theresia's Cathedral
Nobody has ever found out who was the constructor of this extraordinary late baroque cathedral, but it is known that the ground-plan was sent by the empress Maria Theresia herself. The foundation stone was put in June 1756., and the conctruction lasted seven years. There is a stone board on which are Maria Theresia and bishop Thauzy engraved and mentioned as beneficiaries for the construction of the church. The board from 1763. is situated above the portal. The interior is in the late baroque and rococo style. The main altar with its monumentality dominates and represents a rare example of the baroque and rococo unity. It was given by the bishop Franjo Thauzy at the consecration of the church. The beauty of the church is enhanced by paintings from 1898.and 1899. made by famous Croatian painters Celestin Medović and Oton Iveković.
Chapel of St. Vid
The church of St. Vid is mentioned for the first time in the 18th century on hill Mizerovac. In 1884, in place of the old wooden chapel, today's church of St. Vid was built.
The church can be seen from almost the whole town, it's located on the "Vineyard way of Požega" in the middle of the vineyards of Požega in a spot which has the perfect view of the town.
You can get to the church from the center of the town through the Street of St. Vid and Grgin dol Street or from the east side of town through Jagodnjak over Fratrovica.
Sightseeing and tourism
Hotel Grgin dol
The hotel was opened in December 1961. after the renovation of the former archery. In the beautiful and natural surroundings, in the part of town known for ages as Grgin dol, named after a certain Grga, today's hotel exists under the same name and offers a pleasant and good accommodation in three pavilions connected to the reception and the restaurant.
In the vicinity of the town centre,in the middle of the abundant greenery, at the foot of Požeška gora, it is a guarantee for a pleasant stay and pleasure in extraordinary cuisine. Among many well chosen delights of the slavonic and international cuisine, the specialty of the house is the famous „Barun Trenk steak“, their pride and joy. A great selection of wines comes from all wine producers of the region.
It is situated in the town centre, in the vicinity of the main square and the Town museum in Požega. Walking through the ancient passage of the secessian multi-storey building on the main square there is a cellar in one of the buildings with an ancient looking tavern. It offers a la carte dishes, fish dishes, meat and side dishes, hot and cold starters, soups, desserts and salads. The interior is very comfortable, suits all tastes.